Linksys WiFi Extender Setup
Live Chat with our experts & get real-time answers to all your queries.
Tap below to discuss your Linksys issues with our experts and get the solution.
Linksys Range extender setup is quite simple. To initiate the setup, visit the extender login page. Extending the WiFi range using Linksys range extenders is a great way to avoid dead spots on WiFi networks. Linksys range extender amplifies the main WiFi router’s signals before passing them on throughout the premise. It increases WiFi signal strength and minimizes penetration loss. First, log into the Linksys extender setup interface at 192.168.1.1. The steps for logging in are as follows:
- Unbox your device and plugin in the extender to the power outlet.
- Observe the lights until they become stable before starting the Linksys WiFi Extender Setup.
- Connect your WiFi extender with the router using an Ethernet cable.
- Check the Ethernet cable and the Ethernet ports. They must work properly.
- Ensure that the connections are finger-tight.
- Go to the address bar of your web browser, and enter this address – extender.linksys.com.
- After you click Enter, you will have to provide a password along with a username.
- Fill in the default credentials. (If the password is incorrect or you don’t have the default password, contact us.)
- Enter your credentials and click “Login” to move further in the Linksys Extender Setup process.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to reach the Linksys range extender setup page at http://extender.linksys.com.
Note: The steps above apply to extenders without configuration. See the further section for Linksys smart WiFi setup if your extender is already set up and configured.
Linksys WiFi Extender Setup Using A Mobile Device
You can also set up your extender using a mobile device. To initiate the Linksys WiFi Extender setup process, you need to power up your extender. Thereafter, follow the given steps:
- Connect to your extender’s WiFi.
- By using a web browser, access https://extender.linksys.com from any mobile device on your network with the same network access as your extender.
- Enter your username and password to log in to the router’s interface.
- The default password and network name are on a label at the bottom on the Linksys Range Extender box.
- Select settings from the left side menu then select wireless settings from a drop-down menu.
- If you are not able to access the settings for your extender through the web interface, you may need to reset it.
- Perform the reset by holding down its reset button with a paper clip or pin for ten seconds before releasing it.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the Linksys Extender setup process.
- Don’t forget to change the Wi-Fi network name (SSID) and password of Linksys Extender for better security purposes.
Setup Steps For Already Configured Extenders
If you have a pre-configured Linksys extender, installing it will require resetting the extender first. Thereafter, you have to follow the Linksys extender setup steps. All you need to do is make sure that your computer, modem, and router are all connected to the same Internet connection. First, reset your device. To reset Linksys Range Extender, hold the reset button on it for at least 10 seconds. You’ll get a constant red blinking light to indicate that you’ve successfully performed a factory reset on the device. The range extender will restart automatically and will be reset to factory default settings. The range extender is then ready to set up. Follow these steps for the Linksys WiFi Extender setup:
- Connect your Linksys extender to your computer using an Ethernet cable.
- Use The WAN port on the extender. It is a square-shaped icon, with the label “Internet.”
- Connect one end of an Ethernet cable to this port, then connect the other side of the cable to a free port on your router or modem.
- Tip: If you need more than 100 feet of extra range, buy a long Ethernet cable so that you can place both devices as far apart from each.
- Go to a web browser on your computer and enter extender.linksys.com.
- Hit “enter” and wait.
- If you are using a Mac, open the Safari browser and go to www.linksys.com/setup/Mac to download and install the Linksys Smart Wifi app on your Mac computer.
- When you’re asked, enter the default password along with the username of the Linksys extender.
- The default credentials are admin for the username and admin for the password.
Setup Linksys WiFi Extender Manually
When you perform Linksys WiFi Extender setup manually, you can extend the range of your existing wireless network to give you seamless coverage. The best thing about this device is that it doesn’t require any core technical knowledge to install manually. All you need is to follow these steps:
- Plug the Linksys range extender into an electrical outlet close to your existing WiFi router, but not in the same room.
- Make sure you place it in a location that has a clear line of sight to the router, such as near a window or doorway.
- Do not plug it in behind furniture or drapes.
- Do not plug it behind walls or other obstructions (such as other electronics).
- Open a web browser and type http://extender.linksys.com or http://192.168.1.1 inside the bar top and then press Enter on your keyboard.
- When setting up your Linksys WiFi extender it is important to make sure that you are inputting the correct address into your web browser.
- Do not use a mobile browser or public network, as these can cause problems with your configuration process.
- If you are using a proxy server to access the internet through the extender, ensure that this is disabled before proceeding.
- Type in http://extender.linksys.com or http://192.168.1.1 in the address bar.
- Wait for a new window to appear with instructions for configuring your device.
Click Set Up > Manual Setup
- Enter the same wireless network name (SSID) as your existing Wi-Fi router, then enter its password.
- Click Next to continue with the setup process.
- Select the same wireless network name (SSID) of your existing Wi-Fi router.
- Choose a password that is easy for you to remember and different from the original network’s password. Avoid using any of the following characters: “,” or “.”
- The password for the existing network is case-sensitive and should have 8 characters in length. It can be a combination of letters and numbers, but not the same as your router’s password.
- Click Next
Once you see that it has connected to the network, click Next to continue with the Linksys Extender setup process. Then follow the instructions on the screen to complete setting up your Linksys extender. The setup process will take a few minutes. During this time, make sure that you do not unplug or disconnect from any of its cables (power cord, Ethernet cable, and USB cable) while continuing through each step in the setup wizard until completion.
FAQs on Linksys Extender Setup
Linksys extender is an easy and hassle-free way to extend your Wi-Fi network. It helps you get the most out of your existing router and increase the range of your wireless connection. But if you’re a new user, you might have some queries. For you, we have the FAQ section below.
- Connect the Linksys extender to your router using an Ethernet cable.
- Attach the Linksys extender to a power outlet using a power adapter included with your device.
- Open a web browser and type extender.linksys.com, and follow the on-screen instructions.
A Linksys extender is a device that extends the range of a wireless network. It can extend the range of a wireless network. As a result, you get access to your router even if it’s in some other room. The extender also acts as an access point and boosts the signal strength by repeating it.
To check whether your extender is working, you can look at the status light on the extender. If it’s green, then the range extender is working properly and you should see a strong wireless signal. You can also check the network name of your device and make sure that it matches what your router uses. In addition to this, you should check if there are any issues with speed or signal strength when using a laptop or other devices connected to a Wi-Fi network through an extender.
- Plug in your Linksys Wi-Fi extender to power and connect it to your network using an Ethernet cable.
- Launch the Linksys portal on your mobile device and tap “Set up new device” at the bottom of the screen.
- Select “Extender setup wizard” from under “Setup Wizard”, and then tap Next on Android or ‘Next’ on iOS to begin the setup of your new extender.
The first step to connecting your WiFi extender is to ensure that both your router and extender are turned on.
You’ll then need to connect an Ethernet cable from your extender to the router in order for it to function properly. If you want, you can also connect the extender wirelessly instead of using an Ethernet cable, which is what we recommend because this will be more convenient and reliable than connecting them with wires.
Finally, if you’re having trouble with your WiFi signal in certain areas of your home or office, then we recommend using a powerline adapter set so that they work together as well as possible!
Resetting the extender is a straightforward process. All you have to do is press the reset button on the back of your extender, wait for its lights to turn off, unplug it from its power source and then plug it back in again. Once this is done, you will need to reboot your router and then plug in your extender again. Wait until all three lights have turned green before using it.
If your Linksys extender is offline, there are several things you can do to try and get it back online.
- First, check your internet connection. If it’s been disconnected or if the signal strength has dropped, this could be causing the issue. Try rebooting your modem or router to see if that fixes the problem.
- Next, check the status of your extender as well as your router (it may be experiencing a similar issue). If either of these devices isn’t working correctly, resetting them might help fix any problems they have and allow them to communicate better with each other again.
- To reset an extender: Unplug it for one minute then plug it back in; make sure all lights on both sides are solidly lit before continuing on to step 3 below!
- To reset a router: Unplug it for five minutes then plug it back in; make sure all lights on both sides are solidly lit before continuing on to step 3 below!